The Music Department at Humboldt State is committed to providing quality education directed to individual student needs. In our department students:
• perfect skills as a performer and leader
• study the rich legacy and tradition of music literature and history
• realize their full artistic potential in a supportive environment
• prepare for graduate study or a career in a music-related field
The Bachelor of Arts degree program in Music at Humboldt State provides a basic understanding of the theory and history of music, performance opportunities in many styles and genres, and individual instruction in voice, piano, composition or instruments from a highly qualified faculty who are active musicians and scholars.
The Music Department faculty are known for their dedication to teaching and the broad range of their collective expertise. We have experts in music technology, world music, conducting, jazz, musicology, music education, and specialists on all orchestra instruments, voice, guitar, and piano.
• Performance opportunities in a variety of ensembles and recitals.
• Facilities featuring a 200 seat recital hall, 3 computer labs, many practice rooms, digital and analog recording equipment, many grand pianos, a large inventory of wind, string and percussion instruments and one of the most comprehensive chamber music libraries on the West Coast.
• Small class sizes and excellent faculty/student ratio.
• Accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Music.
• Nationally known performers often come to Humboldt to perform through the University's Center Arts program.